Saturday, September 4, 2010

Labor and Frugality

In Gordon B. Hinckley's talk To the Women of the Church in 2003 he counseled us on what we should teach our young men. Among the thing, one thing in particular stood out to me: "Teach them to be frugal. Labor and frugality lead to prosperity." I have to be honest when I say that was one of the very many reasons I married the man that I did. He has always been such a hard worker in all he does and he's always been extremely frugal (which was great for someone like me who was never very good at saving money). When I read this I thought, "hey great we're gonna be rich someday cause Heath's works hard and is frugal!" Well, I'm still waiting for that ;) but I know our lives have been blessed because of this.

I've thought a lot about our personal financial situation and how being frugal and working hard can be considered "the better part" for us right now.

So, I'm gonna strive to take the advice I'm supposed to give my young men (when they get older) and do as he says so I can actually know what I'm talking about.

I've also decided that there's a difference between being poor and being frugal. Being poor isn't a choice. I can't choose how much money we make at our jobs, but I can be frugal in how I spend that money; regardless of how much or how little it is. Whether we are in poverty or making millions of dollars a year (which I'm sure will be very soon, haha). I'm going to strive to be more frugal and not purchase things I don't have money for, or even if I have money for something ask myself if this is really the best use of my money.

I guess I'm just trying to introduce the fact that I'll probably be adding some posts on here on saving money, or do-it-yourself projects/things. I think that's another way I can "choose the better part".

No comments:

Post a Comment