Saturday, September 4, 2010

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

So, yesterday I was searching for something and came across a recipe for homemade laundry detergent, but I didn't have all the ingredients I needed to make it but happened across another one for dishwasher detergent that I did have everything for so I thought I'd give it a try. Mainly because our sink was leaking really bad and totally soaked the box of detergent I had under the sink and ruined it. Anyway, I tried the recipe and was totally impressed! Especially with my hard water, my dishes lately have been AWFUL and I've had to run the cycle again with no better luck the second time. Just white stuff all over my dishes.

So here's the recipe (so easy):
1/2 Cup Borax
1/2 Cup Baking Soda
1 Tbsp LemiShine

Mix together and use about 1 Tbsp in dispenser and another tablespoon in pre-wash cup
I also read to use vinegar in the "rinse agent" dispenser. Store in an air-tight container. I only made half the recipe to start with cause I wasn't sure I would like it and I didn't have enough Borax :)

Another recipe calls for Washing Soda instead of Baking Soda, but I don't have that yet, so I couldn't tell ya which is better.

If you're not sure what the ingredients are:
Borax-a "laundry booster" You can get it pretty much anywhere, I got mine at Walmart, it's right by the laundry soap. I got the 20 Mule Team brand. It comes in a green box with red letters (This is also in the laundry detergent recipe I'll be trying)
Baking Soda-Sorry I can't help you if you don't already know what this is, haha
LemiShine-Lifesaver for my dishes, but pretty pricey. My dishwasher worked just fine the first few years we lived here then suddenly my dishes would come out looking AWFUL, my plastic stirring spoons were all white and gross with residue and this stuff seriously saved them after nothing else would. I'm pretty sure it's the secret weapon for the dishwasher, especially if you have hard water. But like I said it's pretty pricey so I'm glad it's only about 2 Tbsp per 1 Cup of everything else, you could probably even do less. When I first got it, it said to fill both dispensers with it so ya if you were just using that, it totally wouldn't be worth it. But I can totally handle 1 Tbls LemiShine: 1 Cup everything else. Anyway, I would just see what works with your dishwasher, but I still think it's cheaper total than dishwasher detergent from the store because my dishes aren't having to be washed more than once and there's no hard water spots.

Anyway, there ya go! I'm gonna go to the store this week and get some stuff for the laundry detergent and I'll post it on here as soon as I cook it all up and see how I like it :) I'm pretty excited about the whole thing, especially cause my mom's friend in her ward has been using it for over a year now and loves it...and the BEST part
drum roll please!
Only 1.5 cents per load-SCORE!
To be posted soon!

3 comments:

  1. the SAME thing is happening to my plastics. I switched to a pricey natural dishwashing detergent and it is still happening although I'm not as worried about the chemical dangers of it. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love the idea of making your own and spending so little! I, too, have been using Lemi-shine for the last few years, my dishes aren't the same without it. I hate that it's so expensive. I only use a tablespoon-ish when I use it, so it does go a long way. With the laundry detergent recipe, do you know if it is safe for the new HE (high efficiency) washers? LMK what you find out and I'm excited to hear about that one. Great ideas for a web site...you may be on to something and become rich and famous! Don't forget us little people when you do! LOL! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're funny Lauren! I actually just purchased some more Borax yesterday and they've re-vamped their box. It says right on the box that it's safe for HE washers and I looked up Arm & Hammer Washing Soda on their website and it also said it was safe :) I'm going to try and make some today so I'll post the recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete